Anjum Khanna – Psoriasis is a type of skin disease that affects a lot of people. It causes red, itchy scaly patches, most commonly on the knees, elbows, trunk and scalp. You can say Psoriasis is thought to be an immune system problem. Psoriasis skin disorder that causes skin cells to multiply up to 10 times faster than normal. This makes the skin build up into bumpy red patches covered with white scales you can see in the picture. They can grow anywhere on the body, but most appear on the scalp, elbows, knees, and lower back. Psoriasis can’t be passed from person to person but It does sometimes happen in members of the same family(Genetic properties).
- Red patches of skin covered with thick, silvery scales
- Small scaling spots (commonly seen in children)
- Dry, cracked skin that may bleed or itch
- Itching, burning or soreness
- Thickened, pitted or ridged nails
- Swollen and stiff joints
Psoriasis is believed to be an immune system issue that makes the skin recover at quicker than ordinary rates. In the most widely recognized sort of psoriasis, known as plaque psoriasis, this fast turnover of cells brings about scales and red patches. Exactly what makes the immune system glitch isn’t totally clear. Scientists accept both genetic factors and environmental surroundings play a role. The condition isn’t infectious.
Types of Psoriasis:
- Pustular psoriasis , It causes red and scaly skin with tiny pustules on the palms of the hands and soles of the feet.
- Guttate psoriasis , Might be it starts in childhood or young adulthood, causes small, red spots, mainly on the torso and limbs. Triggers may be respiratory infections, strep throat, tonsillitis, stress, injury to the skin, and taking antimalarial and beta-blocker medications.
- Inverse psoriasis , It makes bright red, shiny lesions that appear in skin folds, such as the armpits, groin, and under the breasts.
- Erythrodermic psoriasis , It causes fiery redness of the skin and shedding of scales in sheets. It’s triggered by severe sunburn, infections, certain medications, and stopping some kinds of psoriasis treatment. It needs to be treated immediately because it can lead to severe illness.
When to see Doctor
If you feel these symptoms are related to psoriasis, then consult your doctor.
- Becomes severe/ serious or widespread
- Causes you discomfort, itchiness and pain
- Causes you concern about the appearance of your skin
- Leads to joint problems, such as pain, swelling or inability to perform daily tasks
- Doesn’t improve with treatment
Ayurvedic Treatment for Psoriasis
If you visit an ayurveda Consultant, they’ll create a treatment plan based on your symptoms and lifestyle. It may include:
- Diet changes
- Oils applied to your body
- Enemas or laxatives
- Controlled vomiting
- Blood cleansing using herbs or bloodletting, which involves draining blood from your body
Many ingredients and methods that ayurvedic Doctors use to treat psoriasis may be familiar to you as herbal supplements or other types of alternative treatments. It includes:
- Diet changes: In ayurveda, drinking lots of water and eating green, leafy vegetables is thought to help with psoriasis. Foods and drinks to avoid include alcohol, red meat, spicy food, junk food, and acidic foods.
- Turmeric: Turmeric reduces inflammation and has antioxidant properties.
- Andira araroba: This is a botanical powder made from the andira araroba tree. Ayurvedic specialists mix the powder with vinegar or lemon juice to form a paste that they apply to psoriasis patches.
- Olive oil: You apply this directly to psoriasis patches or add it to a bath to ease dryness and irritation.
- Milk thistle: it helps your liver and immune system work better.
- Cayenne pepper: It contains a compound called capsaicin, which is also used in ayurvedic medicine. When applied to your skin in a cream, capsaicin may block nerve endings that add to pain. It may also ease inflammation, scaling, and redness from psoriasis. Be careful if you use a capsaicin product, because it can cause a burning feeling on your skin.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe vera Gel reduces itching and scaling.
About Anjum Khanna – Ayurveda Consultant
Anjum Khanna is a super-specialist in ayurvedic treatment and management of all diseases. Anjum khanna has a profound knowledge of treating all kinds of chronic diseases, especially in neuromuscular diseases, joint disorders, disc prolapse, skin diseases, and diseases of the lungs, intestine, liver, and kidney.